The Belleville Chamber of Commerce is pleased to present the “Get Online Smart” series with seminars designed to set you up for a safe, successful and enjoyable online experience.
This seminar will empower parents and guardians with expert advice and practical tips for safeguarding their children and teens online. Participants will learn about the risks children may encounter, and tips for creating your family’s own practical and a sensible strategy for staying safe online.
- Keeping Up With Technology.
- App and Game Functionality.
- The Grooming Process and Lures.
- Getting Help.
Summary - Speaker Bio and Highlights
Matt Richardson – Speaker Bio
Matt Richardson is a local expert for internet safety and cyber respect. His clients include numerous local schools, school boards, and several community agencies. He is frequently sought out as a subject matter expert by the media with appearances and writing credits with outlets across Canada and the U.S. Matt began teaching personal safety skills in 2013 and launched his first online safety programs in 2014. His background working in the provincial and federal civil services and Ontario Police College credential in “Open Source Intelligence” (OSINT) give him a unique and fulsome perspective which has resulted in programs that cover the full spectrum of “digital well-being” including online safety and respect and building and protecting a positive online brand.
“As a law enforcement officer I am well aware of both the prevalence of online threats and the glaring gap in education that is current and impactful. Matt’s seminars reflect both current best practices in terms of safety and prevention of abduction and exploitation as well as the latest technologies and tactics deployed by online predators. We are thrilled to have him as the online safety facilitator at the Belleville Children’s Safety Village and highly recommend him!”
-Sheri Meeks, Inspector - City of Belleville Police Service
"I worked directly with Matt on the design and delivery of safety seminars in many local schools. Matt designed original materials for a variety of important topics that include; personal and internet safety and cyber bullying. Matt always maintained a positive atmosphere and found a way to make even the most difficult subjects age appropriate by adjusting his terminology and softening his language for younger audiences. His materials reflect the most current best practices for safety and incorporate the latest in technologies including social media platforms, messaging apps and online gaming. I highly recommend Matt to anyone looking for a professional and highly dynamic facilitator for online safety!"
-Constable Maggie Pickett, Quinte West O.P.P.
“Matt has been providing online and personal safety seminars with us at the Trenton Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) for past three years. He is a popular speaker and his seminars are in high demand due to his engaging personality, first class speaking skills, and complete mastery of the subject matter! He has a firm grasp of the unique needs and sensitivities of the military community and therefore has managed to forge a meaningful connection. Matt has even (on an ongoing basis) provided our staff and members of our community with timely support and advice on sensitive and even potentially dangerous situations. We continue to work with Matt and we cannot emphasize enough how highly we recommend him and his services. Those that do will not be disappointed!”
-Tamara Kleinschmidt, Executive Director – Trenton Military Family Resource Centre
Projects Highlights Include (not limited to):
Hastings Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB)
Consultant – Online Safety and Digital Well-Being
Google Student Summit (HPEDSB)
Featured Speaker and Subject Matter Expert
- Designing a suite of custom online safety and digital well-being resources and online learning modules for teachers that align with provincial curriculum requirements.
Open Source Intelligence Trainer, Advisor for Special Project and Assignments
- Designed and facilitated customized seminars that introduced vital online safety material and incorporated lessons on being responsible digital citizens.
Children’s Safety Village:
Program Creator and Facilitator for Online Safety and Cyber Respect
- Created a specialized project utilizing a fusion of advanced technologies for monitoring populations of previously endangered bird species.
Media Appearances Include (not limited to):
- Designed and facilitated specialized a series of highly interactive, hands on online safety workshops that allows participants to learn in a safe and realistic environment that our online actions can have real world physical consequences if we are not careful.
- CBS TV
- CBC Radio
- Unplugged Family
- Mommy Talk
- Lorne Brooker Show
- Mix Morning Show
- The Grapevine
- Published blogger for Unplugged Family
- Featured Author – Kalicon Conference
- Extensive print/digital media coverage
Clients Have Included (not limited to):
- Hastings Prince Edward District School Board
- Children’s Safety Village - Belleville
- Community Living Belleville
- Pathways to Independence
- Albert College
- CFB Trenton – Military Family Resource Centre
- Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte
- Numerous Schools in the Region